Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Counting Blessings

So I was doing pretty good with reading the bible everyday and keeping up with the 90 day plan. But then I ordered a book. And it arrived in the mail really fast. I just took a peek at the first chapter. Before I knew it, I had finished the whole book and now I'm officially a good week behind in my bible reading. But I'm not upset about it at all. I can't believe how amazing the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp is. Skip on over to Amazon and order it. It's under 10.00 and if you order a couple of extra copies to give away you'll get free shipping. There will be no regret on this one. Her writing is beautiful and speaks so perfectly to the deep purpose understanding that, I believe everyone goes through at some point in their lives. The struggle to find beauty in failed dreams, hope in unexpected disasters, and genuine gratefulness while exhausted has been one of my biggest struggles. I found it wonderful how every time I was reading and a question or "yeah, but" popped into my mind, on the very next page or next chapter she addressed it. Some serious life changing can happen while reading this book! I think it's really beautiful that so many women have been touched by the message of counting gifts. Simple and profound all at the same time. Should be easy but it is hard in practicality. That's why we need it so badly. It reminds me of a Jewish thought that Messiah might come if  all of his people would keep Shabbat together, at the same time, just once. Can you imagine the beauty in the world if everyone would give thanks for all things, for one day, together? I can't imagine either.

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this book now and am taking part in the book club over at (in)courage. Here is the link to the book club if you want to come over and check it out. http://www.incourage.me/category/bloom
    Holly

    ReplyDelete